tiistai 9. joulukuuta 2014

No words can make justice



So far my canon for greatest recordings have included the Mahler's das Lied von der Erde by Bruno Walter, sung by the incomparable Julius Patzak and Kathleen Ferrier, the live recording of Beethoven's 9th by Furtwängler from Bayreuth and Bruckner 6th by Otto Klemperer. This canon has been unchanged since the early 90s and I had resigned to the fact that it is to be that way. And it was, until I heard this live enhancing performance. I can only be grateful that microphones were present so that I can feel I was there, as the performance is very truthfully preserved. 

What about the performance, then? No words can make justice to it. The eighth symphony was for me an enigma long after I was otherwise well into Mahler's world. First came upon the much awarded Klaus Tennstedt recording, with no reward, long after Rafael Kubelik's recording, which opened the gates. Then entered Gary Bertini, who helped me to appreciate the work.

Horenstein the explorer guides his mighty ship into the unknown territory, filled with beauties no one had ever seen before, yet there are hazards and dangers along. Yet he ever rushes things. When the performance enters the two last movements, the audience - including me - are in heaven, eyes sweating with tears. Of course this was not the premiere of the work, but for the performers, audience and the appreciative world it was.

Horenstein has guided me through unknown terrains where I have experienced sounds I have never before heard. This greatest of possible man-made creations with one of greatest cumulative climaxes receives here the greatest possible realisation.

I will want to get this played in my funeral.

Horenstein's live recording of the Mahler 8th symphony was reviewed for Amazon, and it can be listened by clicking on the headline of this review. I will also use the opportunity to thank conductor's cousin Misha Horenstein who has shared this recording for the greater audience who deserves to hear it.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti