perjantai 4. maaliskuuta 2022

To NATO

As a Finn who has just about 150 kilometres to the Russian border - we have about 1300 kilometres border between us - of course I can't get the situation in Ukraine out of my system. Such things as work feel just trivial. I feel a very strong affinity to our brothers and sisters in humanity in Ukraine.

Then, we have belonged to the Empirial Russia for 108 years, between 1809 and 1917, and the moment when we gained our independence is not much further from my birth than present day. We have had our fluctuating relationship with them, but this is of course the new low after WW II. Luckily we are not anymore that dependant on Russia commercially, but then I really feel sorry for the tens of thousands of Russians who live, love and work in Finland. In my hometown we have bus drivers, doctors from Russia, people doing all kinds of stuff. 

When I was in the Finnish army, with it occurred simultaneously the takeover attempt by the Janajev junta, and for a good few days we were quite worried back then. So this is really nothing new if put into perspective. 

I was one of the some twentyish persons who were culpable of the initiative to join the EU. By that time NATO was unthinkable, but I see it as a logical step in western integration for us. I wish that our president - who is currently negotiating with mr. Biden, followed next week by our minister of defence, who will also pay visit to the States - and prime minister come to the conclusion to seek full membership a.s.a.p. with a security guarantee from NATO. I presume it is precisely the reason why the leading Finnish politicians are now travelling intercontinentally.

I consider myself a pacifist of some sort, but this is a matter of survival. Not only as a nation but the question is also about survival of the humanity. 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti