sunnuntai 8. maaliskuuta 2020

The only set of Brahms symphonies you'll ever need

When I was younger and collecting my first reference sets I read in the Penguin Guide - or was it the Gramophone Good CD Guide - that Abbado is unsurpassed in Brahms. As I have always been rebel by principle and wanted to find my own way, I was pro Sanderling and Klemperer and against household names such as Karajan, Haitink and Abbado. I wanted to look better informed than the great majority, to unearth hidden gems. I was also very doubtful towards living artists in general as I thought that the greatest wisdom was preserved for the artists born when Brahms was still alive, with a direct link to the composer's world.

Now I borrowed the Abbado set from a friend when almost 30 years older. Now conductors like Abbado and Haitink are no longer active, and their recordings 30 to 40 years old. I guess 30-40 years is required for a recording to be regarded as classic, as the Klemperers and Sanderlings were of that age when I first started collecting.

And these Abbado recordings deserve their classic status.  When the first beats of first symphony jumped out of my speakers, I instantly realized what I had been missing all these decades. This is the real thing. Playing is luminous, fullbodied, romantic yet rhytmically alert and sound is transparent. For me the analog recordings of late 50s and 60s are usually more than serviceable, but here the full bodied yet luminous sound enhance the value of the recordings. 

The most successful items in this set for me are the two first symphonies and the Academic Overture. If one wants to have a representative sample of the set, listening to the first movements of the 1st and 2nd are revealing: constant forward motion, singing strings, audible woodwinds, full bodied yet breathing orchestral fibre.

The idea of coupling the rarely played choral items is happy one; although they are not essential they are at least entertaining. 

There is no need to get rid of your Bruno Walter, Otto Klemperer, Bernard Haitink, Karajan or Kurt Sanderling, but if you don't possess any Brahms, this set will suffice and satisfy. This is the real thing as the Berliner live Bruckner recordings by Wand are the real Bruckner or the Kempe strauss are the real Strauss. 

This review of the Claudio Abbado Brahms set is released in Amazon.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti